The main objects of our Centre, interalia, are:
- To undertake and carry on scientific study and analysis of the Advaita System of Thought as expounded by Adi Sankara and to conduct research as regards the relevance of his teachings in solving the present day ills of mankind.
- To undertake, promote and encourage the study of the ancient philosophical systems of India.
In fulfilment of the objectives of our Research Centre, the following activities were/are being carried out:
- THE VOICE OF SANKARA - Journal: An English-cum-Sanskrit half-yearly journal, 'Sankara Bharati' (The Voice of Sankara) is being published by our Centre since May 1976 originally under the distinguished editorship of Dr. T.M.P. Mahadevan and at present under the editorship of Prof. R. Balasubramanian, former Chairman, Indian Council of Philosophical Research, New Delhi. The great teacher of Vedanta, the late Shri V.R. Kalyanasundara Sastrigal was the Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Journal for a number of years. The journal periodically features research articles on Advaita Vedanta written by eminent scholars. Adi Sankara's works are transliterated and translated into English with notes and commentaries wherever necessary.
VEDA PATASALAS: The Vedas constitute the bed-rock of our Sanatana Dharma. As per the wishes of our Acharyas and as an ancillary to scientific research in vedantic texts and with a view to propagate Vedas, Veda Patasalas are being run on Gurukula system by our Centre at Chennai (Chromepet), Villupuram, Thiruvanaikka and Kumbakonam with financial assistance obtained from the Maharshi Sandeepini Veda Vidya Pratishthan, Ujjain. The Centre is also rendering financial assistance to Kanchi Shankar Ved Vidyalay, Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. Earlier, the Centre was running a Vedapatasala at Nazarathpettai near Poonamallee which had to be wound up to give room for an Engineering College and the Vidyarthis had to be transferred to other Vedapatasalas run under the auspices of the Kanchi Math. There are at present 60 students at these Veda Patasalas. Some of them have distinguished themselves by completing Salakshana Ghananta, the highest attainment in Veda learning.
- SEMINAR/SYMPOSIA/LECTURES: Periodically, our Research Centre has been arranging lectures, seminars, symposia, etc. on the teachings of Adi Sankara and his works to promote and encourage the study of the ancient philosophical system of thought among the younger generation. Consistent with Adi Sankara's Advaita philosophy of oneness and unity, equality and brotherhood, toleration and deep respect for diverse points of view , the Centre has been arranging every year seminars and symposia on the three schools of philosophy addressed by eminent scholars in the respective systems of thought.
- PUBLICATIONS: The Research Centre has published several rare books on Advaita Philosophy besides books on the hymnal works of Adi Sankara.
- NEWSLETTER- "VOICE OF KANCHI MATH": Last but not the least, our Centre has been publishing for the past ten years, a quarterly newsletter -" VOICE OF KANCHI MATH" "highlighting the activities of the Kanchi Kamakoti Sankara Math".
The Research Centre celebrated its Silver Jubilee in June 2000 at Chennai in the immediate presence of Pujyashri Acharyas of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham.
The Centre is ever grateful to the abiding interest evinced by the Acharyas in the activities of the Centre.